Friday, February 11, 2011

Hope's Journey

Great wealth for dowry 
beyond the brine sea
My kin will sing
honours for my love
Bright our ship sail
wind song for wine
New land for planting
sacred grove and hall.
Our battles all fought
with fury unbridled
In unearthly waves high,
we yearn for home
Here lies our boat
beyond the brine sea
Oaken belly broke,
burned to blood by sky.
Eyes hoping outward,
throats bare with salt tears
Our rage is spent, lost
in oceans of sorrow.
Brother and sword kin
brine fit for reward
O for timber and branch
for rafting together,
Would see us homeward
to fair Erinn’s fields
I dream of your hair,
soft fern and waterfall
Rushes and ripe fruit
from deep thorn thicket 
You’re not the sun
though land darkens without you

No moon gave you birth,
yet you warm the night
You’re not of the stars,
still you steer this heart
Great wealth for dowery 
my heart bid me bring you
You are my path light
from ocean to home.

©Justyn Rowe.  June 11,1999


No comments:

Post a Comment